Dec 31, 2008

Auld Lang Syne :o)

Happy New Year To All :o)

A selection of versions, pick the one that appeals to you. You can then play this as the new year rings in if you so desire.

Catch You On The Turn :o)

Auld Lang Syne

The song, "Auld Lang Syne," is sung at the stroke of midnight in almost every English- speaking country in the world to bring in the New Year. In spite of the popularity of 'Auld Lang Syne', it has aptly been described as the song that nobody knows. Even in Scotland, hardly a gathering sings it correctly, without some members of the party butchering the words.

Written by Robert Burns in 1741, it was first published in 1796 after Burns' death. "Auld Lang Syne" literally means "old long ago," or simply, "the good old days."

Versions Below:


Traditional (my favorite)



Bagpipes from (Darrin, whoever that is)



Head Banger Version :o)



The SAW, watch if you dare!

Lyrics: Auld Lang Syne by Robert Burns

Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
and never brought to mind?
Should auld acquaintance be forgot
and days of auld lang syne?

For auld lang syne, my dear,
For auld lang syne,
We'll take a cup o' kindness yet
For auld lang syne

We twa hae run aboot the braes
And pou'd the gowans fine,

we've wander'd mony a weary foot
Sin' auld lang syne

We two hae paidled i' the burn,
Frae mornin' sun till dine;
But seas between us braid hae roar'd
Sin' auld lang syne

And here's a hand, my trusty friend,
And gie's a hand o' thine;
We'll take a cup o' kindness yet
For auld lang syne

Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
and never brought to mind?
Should auld acquaintance be forgot
and days of auld lang syne?

For auld lang syne, my dear,
For auld lang syne,
We'll take a cup o' kindness yet
For auld lang syne

11 comments:

  1. You already know which version I like! Looking forward to Fondue!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the traditional version as well. I've seen my share of revelers mess up the words...I may have been one of them! ;)

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy the Fondue guys! We'll be sitting at home as well, avoiding the drunken idiots on the road.
    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am partial to the standard myself. Been condition to feel wistful at the hearing of the first few notes ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Always makes me cry! I like the traditional one, no words...

    ReplyDelete
  6. The very Happiest of New Years to you and Beth!
    'On Ya'-ma

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aha ... we are not an English speaking country (English is our 2nd language, though!) but we do know and sing the song at appropriate functions.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wanted to make sure I got by to wish you a happy new year
    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  9. A cup of kindness indeed....is what we all need to follow. Happy New Year to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. lol at the girlschool version of auld lang syne.

    thanks for joining the ranks. i am now following you back.

    enjoy the fondue!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the traditional version ~
    Happy New Year to you both ~ Ally x

    ReplyDelete

Tell Me What You Think, Don't Make me go Rogue on you :o)