Dec 18, 2008

Successful Day :o)

Today was a successful day. We did our Strategic Projects and Sourcing meeting today, identifying four areas that we may be able to develop contracts that leverage the USA Alliance Fleet concept (fifteen single nuclear site utilities with 27 plants). Acting as a fleet gives us potential leverage to negotiate favorable contracts and/or rebates as members use vendor services. We finished up about 3:30 P.M., which allowed me to go to Balley's (free via the hotel) for a workout.



There are four of us that are not leaving until tomorrow, and we agreed to meet at 6:30 P.M. for dinner (my poor system, Beth and I rarely eat before 9:00 P.M., I fear my system will go into shock and shutdown - or worse yet, by 10 or 11, I will be ravenous :o). We all agreed that while in this Midwest area (Overland Park, Kansas), that we needed BEEF :o)


I was not aware that the call "New York" strips "Kansas City" strips down here, but that was the special tonight, and I had a 16 oz version that was so tender it melted in my mouth. I was good and substituted broccoli for potatoes, but I did have a salad with Blue Cheese (my favorite).



We got to talking about wine as we were deciding what to order, and I learned that the Northern CA and Central Coast wines are growing in prestige, and that a region (Paso Robles, central CA) that I had avoided is on par with French wines now. Turns out that there extreme temperatures, drip irrigation, and shale soil "stress" the vines and the grapes, which results in great flavor. So I will be looking for some new vintages to add to our cellar. Our vintage pleasure tonight was Earthquake, a Red Zinfadel from Lodi CA (north of Napa). It was a tad young, but an excellent match for the steaks.



Hope you are getting your shopping and wrapping completed, I know I have several hours of wrapping in my weekend future (assuming I can get home tomorrow through the winter storms).

5 comments:

  1. Hi Bucko,
    Sounds like a productive day. To your question about wrapping -- pant, pant -- I've spent all week wrapping and delivering 75 gifts to business contacts all over L.A. I do this every year and try wherever possible to hand-deliver my gifts. I finally finished this afternoon and it was worth it just to see everyone's face light up!
    Best,
    Marty

    ReplyDelete
  2. When we were in California this August, and you and Steve were golfing, Kim and I went to a couple of vineyards for tastings. These central Cali wines are really coming along, but I'm surprised to hear that the Paso Robles area has come along so quickly. Remember the place we were at with Kim and Steve a few years ago that described one of the flavors in the wine as "shoe leather?" LOL! It was NOT good!

    Glad you had a good night, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you'll get home tomorrow with no problems. Nothing is happening yet, but it looks like it's on its way. :( Be safe!!!

    B.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your meal sounded great. I hope you make it out of there. I've been listening to the Airport delays and canceled flights today. It was 70 degrees here today but that is just a fluke. Heading back to the 30's by Sunday. My wrapping is all done...yay.
    Hugs, Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a busy trip..Hope you have a good trip home...steak sounds wonderful.
    Take care, Cassie

    ReplyDelete
  5. omg, steak and wine...I'm in heaven just reading about it and viewing the pics!

    ReplyDelete

Tell Me What You Think, Don't Make me go Rogue on you :o)