Dec 6, 2008

Life Lessons - How Do You Deal ???

Are you accountable for your own actions, or are you a victim?

Accountability – when you make a promise, you have to deliver. Do what you say you will do! Recognize, Own, Forgive, Analyze, Learn, Renew…TAKE RESPONSIBILITY.

SEE IT – Obtain the perspectives of others, communicate openly and candidly, ask for and offer feedback, hear the hard things.

OWN IT – Be personally invested, acknowledge your involvement, create and maintain a sense of alignment, own personal and team objectives.

SOLVE IT – Constantly ask “What else can I do?”, redefine boundaries, creatively deal with obstacles, stay focused on results.

DO IT – Be proactive, follow-up relentlessly, do what you say you will do, and measure progress toward you intended result.

Victim Loop: Deny, Ignore, Hide, Resist, Rationalize, Blame.

Attitude: Life is 10% what happens, and 90% how we react to it.

One of the lessons I have learned is that - People don’t care how much you know until they know how much you care! Choose how to respond! Do not deny how you feel! So show that you care, learn to count ten so you can react with facts and not emotion, and do not be a victim.

10 comments:

  1. Cousin Shane and I were just talking about this yesterday...the inability of some to take responsibility for the part they play in their own lives. As he commented here a while back, YOU are responsible for YOU! In fact, Shane used to have that quote about percentages up on his profile. How will we react? That is entirely in OUR control.

    B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very enlightening words Ken. I remember the first time I owned a mistake I made - really owned it, instead of borrowing it. Insightful. Yet time and again people are only trying to justify their lives, so it seems natural to allow for the voluntary victim or two. It's just human.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this. Where i work hardly anyone takes responsibility for anything....a bunch of females in a deli calls for a DISASTER. You often feel like you are in junior high..or Peyton's Place. My dad always taught me to stand up for what i believe in AND own up to what i have done wrong and MAN, that is hard but you do feel better if you do the right thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. there is a lot of wisdom in the words here today. I have been in in both states of mind, and nothing improved until I stopped placing blame and actually doing something about things.

    Great entry

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm accountable for my own actions. I chose to do what I do or not to do. My past or childhood doesn't make me chose!

    I hate when someone claims they did something because of the way they were brought up!

    Have a good Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. great entry, makes you think! hope your weekend is going great. hugs

    ReplyDelete
  7. << People don’t care how much you know until they know how much you care! >>

    How true! Thanks for reminding us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Couldn't agree with the thinking behind this entry more! Life isn't easy, but it's not hard. We as people know the answers to many of the tough questions we face in our lives, just don't like the answer.

    And the result is even worse consequences.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great words of wisdom Ken, gives me much to think about.

    Yasmin
    x

    ReplyDelete

Tell Me What You Think, Don't Make me go Rogue on you :o)