Dec 29, 2008

New Years Resolutions :o)

The clock is ticking, and the New Year is just around the corner. I have never been a big believer in resolutions, but I do want to continue with my fitness and weight loss program, and to also continue to improve on our financial situation in these lean times. How about you, do you have a resolution or two?

New Year's Eve has always been a time for looking back to the past, and more importantly, forward to the coming year. It's a time to reflect on the changes we want (or need) to make and resolve to follow through on those changes.

Below is a listing of the most popular resolutions, did your New Year resolutions make the list?

Lose Weight
Manage Dept
Save Money
Get a Better Job
Get Fit
Eat Right/Better
Get a Better Education (Learn Something New)
Drink Less Alcohol
Quit Smoking
Reduce Stress Overall (Enjoy Life More)
Reduce Stress at Work
Take a Trip
Volunteer to Help Others
Get Organized
Spend more Time with Family & Friends

Recent research shows that while 52% of participants in a Resolution study were confident of success with their goals, only 12% actually achieved their goals. Men achieved their goal 22% more often when they engaged in goal setting, a system where small measurable goals are used (lose a pound a week, instead of saying "lose weight"), while women succeeded 10% more when they made their goals public and got support from their friends.

There is a right way and a wrong way to make a New Year's resolution. Here are a few tips to see that your resolution actually makes a difference:

1. Create a Plan

Setting a goal without formulating a plan is merely wishful thinking. In order for your resolution to have resolve, (as the word "resolution" implies), it must translate into clear steps that can be put into action. A good plan will tell you A) What to do next and B) What are all of the steps required to complete the goal.

2. Create Your Plan IMMEDIATELY

If you're like most people, then you'll have a limited window of opportunity during the first few days of January to harness your motivation. After that, most people forget their resolutions completely.It is imperative that you begin creating your plan immediately.

3. Write Down Your Resolution and Plan

http://www.mygoals.com/ exists to help you formulate a plan, which we then help you stick to. But even if you don't use myGoals.com, commit your resolution and plan to writing someplace, such as a notebook or journal.

4. Think "Year Round," Not Just New Year's

Nothing big gets accomplished in one day. Resolutions are set in one day, but accomplished with a hundred tiny steps that happen throughout the year. New Year's resolutions should be nothing more than a starting point. You must develop a ritual or habit for revisiting your plan. myGoals.com helps you stick to your plan by providing email reminders that arrive when it's time to work on a given task.

5. Remain Flexible

Expect that your plan can and will change. Life has a funny way of throwing unexpected things at us, and flexibility is required to complete anything but the simplest goal. Sometimes the goal itself will even change. Most of all, recognize partial successes at every step along the way. Just as a resolution isn't accomplished the day it's stated, neither is it accomplished the day you reach your goal. Rather, it's accomplished in many small increments along the way. Acknowledge these incremental successes as they come.



Hope you can make some reasonable and achievable resolutions and stick to them in the new year. Tomorrow: The History of Resolutions and New Years :o)

20 comments:

  1. I don't do resolutions, either, but I want to keep going with my workout routine and my goal of eating more fruit and eating healthier!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the last on your list the best...Remain Flexible. Believe me when I say that is a valuable attribute. No plan is ever set in stone. 'On Ya'-ma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mine didn't make the list but it usually doesn't.....I plan on praying more and getting in touch with what makes me tick. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't make resolutions, I've never succeeded with them when I did and then felt like a failure. Of course topping my list would be to quit smoking which I am working on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very interesting and informative entry. I would have to say that I saw a few things on your list that I'm zeroing in on. I read it once but will be back to pick up on more tips. Thanks for the entry! Have a Happy an healthy new year!
    Ada

    ReplyDelete
  6. to live each day in wonder and amazement- that's it! Dannelle

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is an intersting entry ... been thinking about this particular subject this past week, will get to it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with Beth....I don't do resolutions either. But I would like to eat more fruit as well. Do you know there are vitamins that are just All Fruit or All Veggies for people that don't eat right?

    The Pediatric Cardiologist I worked for sold these vitamins to the mothers whose children had poor eating habits. So, I decided to take them as well.

    I really need to lose the weight I packed on after I stopped smoking. I'm thrilled that I stopped smoking but the weight gain really upsets me.

    I have to force myself to exercise more.

    Hugs, Rose

    ReplyDelete
  9. I make resolutions regularly. I figure even an ounce of improvement is worth the effort, so if I don't succeed in completing them all, I'm still ahead of the game, right?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't do resolutions any more. However, I have to get back on track (with Christmas out of the way) with saving for a car. I have a pretty good down pymt. but have decided that I would really like to have more. Maybe even save enough to buy a used car for cash.
    Hugs, Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  11. I never keep mine, so I have not did any for a few years. But there is always hope for me, I guess. Mine would be to take better care of myself, exercise more, and eat more healthy foods. worry less, save more.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I liked this entry, Ken; great advice out there for people who really do want to make a resolution that they will stick with through the entire year not just for a few days in January!

    my resolution wasn't on that list, but I didn't think it would be LOL; its to grow closer to God, to seek him more and me less

    getting in shape is a good one with losing weight!! best of luck to you to continue on with your healthier lifestyle!!

    Happy New Year!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  13. New Year's resolutions, what are they? Best wishes for the new year, Ken.

    Guido

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't make unreasonable resolutions anymore...they just get broken sooner...lol. I havent made any firm resolutions yet, I guess I should make at least one! :) Hope you can stick to yours, Hugs, Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think I tend to set people staight(in an unwanted way) at times so my New Years resolution is to temporarily(I just can't get myself to do it long-term)indulge everyone else's misperceptions for Jan 2009.
    ~Mary

    ReplyDelete
  16. My resolution for the new year is to not have a resolution! LOL

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Never make 'em, because I'd never keep them. But I do have a few "goals" for the new year. Mostly, I want to get more organized. I also need to learn to be more patient. Otherwise, I'm perfect. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Ken,
    I don't make resolutions but this is the time of year I like to spend planning, plotting out the major events and activities for the coming year.
    Best,
    Marty

    ReplyDelete
  19. Spend more time with family. More family vacations ... I've been working too much..

    ReplyDelete
  20. i can guarantee that if i make a NY resolution, i will break it. lol

    ReplyDelete

Tell Me What You Think, Don't Make me go Rogue on you :o)