Dec 5, 2008

Moving Day in Our Future :o(


No you Silly Billies - Not Beth and I.

Several years ago, I received a call from my Mom that she and her husband (my step-dad) were moving to Oregon to be near her daughter from a previous marriage. At the time, I was a little hurt that there was not a discussion, because I told her that they could have moved here just as well. But we were good sports and went out and visited several times (the Bend Oregon area was absolutely beautiful). About a year and a half ago, they decided to move back to the Springfield, Missouri area. I flew out to Oregon and drove the U-Haul back to Missouri and unloaded it. They had moved to Springfield MO to be near my Step-Dad's daughter. It was a good choice since they had retired to and lived in the area for many years before they moved to Oregon.

While we were down at my Mom's house for Thanksgiving, and after the recent divorce of my Step-Sister and her Husband (who is an absolute great guy and great friend), and after some love and tears from Beth and I, we told my Mom that we would love it if they moved up to our neck of the woods to spend the time they have left with us, who love them, and with Beth's family, who love them as well.

Guess What - tonight, my Step-Dad called and he said, you had only been gone a little while before I was accosted by your Mom! He indicated he had no reason to live down there anymore, and that he was touched that we wanted them to live near us. So, by the end of May, they will be moving-on-up and be living near us. Lots of logistics to work out, but we will deal with that.

My heart goes out to my bride, when we talked about this on the drive back last Monday, and I thanked her for her support, she said, "Of course, they are family." We are so excited and pleased that they will be near us with a family that loves them, and has been and will always be there for them :o)

18 comments:

  1. whuuuuuu huuuuu now that is such good news. Sending good vibes that all works out smoothly
    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great news Ken and you both will have your families close by.

    Have a great weekend

    Yasmin
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's wonderful....family is so important & the more family we have around us~the better. You're right Bend is beautiful. Bob was sent there on a job for about 4 months some years back. (It was a remodel on the hospital there) and I went down on the train and spent 10 days there. I was there over the 4th of July and we watched the fireworks show & then went to the big craft fair in Sisters. But it's one of those places that's hot, hot in the summer and cold, cold in the winter. I'm so happy for you & Beth...you really have something to look forward to. Linda in Washington state

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is good news for sure! Having my family spread all about I know how nice it would be to have them close by. Northern Ohio has little choice as far as employment goes so they all went where the jobs took them. 2 of my children do live close though and I'm thankful for that.
    'On Ya'-ma

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very unexpected and pleasant surprise tonight! I think it will be a good move for them, and for us as well. We'll make it happen.

    B.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh that's wonderful Ken. I am surrounded by my little family here in "hole-in-the-wall" TN and wouldn't have it any other way. That will be great for all of you.
    Hugs, Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's always so nice to have family nearby. I'm very happy for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Having family support is soooo important for everyone! Glad to hear the good news!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well that is good news, obviously you have a nice harmony between your bride and your family. I hope the UHaul you drove didn't look like the pictures...that is hysterical! I'm amazed the trucks didn't just tip over.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Man ... I am so excited for you! I know someone in Bend ... a good friend of a friend.

    You and Beth are such a great team!

    ReplyDelete
  11. so technically you will be that guy who turns the lights off in michigan when all the plants go off line???

    it is important to note that all of the big three are located outside the city of detroit proper (think dearborn, pontiac, warren, romulus, wayne, etc) and they do provide a huge benefit to the local school systems by providing a huge amount of $$$ in the form of their property taxes-- which is another reason folks around here are super-duper freaked out about the whole bailout/loan grovel for $$ because you get your hands dirty for a living thing going on right now in washington. the bottom line is that one out of every ten jobs will be affected in some way or manner by the big three folding up and packing it in.

    ps i think it is great about your parents. my family is very fractured and i missed out on having that kind of inter-generational closeness as a kid.

    miss alaineus!

    ReplyDelete
  12. just wanted to drop by and say hi! i see you comment in everyones blogs i read. have a good weekend. hugs

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am sooooo excited for you and Beth! Family is everything.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Bucko,
    Great to have your folks nearby ... but your headline scared me. I was afraid you were leaving Nutwood behind ... !
    Best,
    Marty

    ReplyDelete
  15. Having family near is good. I'm glad your mom and step-dad are moving closer to you and Beth.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awww, I'm so happy for you guys. Just think of the fun! I bet your Mom can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  17. what awesome news...i know it will enrich your life and Beth's too to have your mom and stepdad close to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  18. THat is some photo. Mercedes really knows how to make a truck, don't they?

    ReplyDelete

Tell Me What You Think, Don't Make me go Rogue on you :o)