Dec 2, 2008

Schedule Smackdown

BRIDGMAN, Mich., Dec. 1, 2008 – American Electric Power (NYSE: AEP) continues work to repair Cook Nuclear Plant’s damaged Unit 1 turbine generator. A repair option may allow operation at reduced power, but the rotors will ultimately be replaced to ensure the long-term viability of the unit. The expected return-to-service timeline ranges from the second half of 2009, if repair is successful, to 2010 if the rotors must be replaced before operation. AEP anticipates that all costs incurred to return Cook Unit 1 to service will be recovered through insurance, vendor warranty or the regulatory process. Repair and replacement of the turbine rotors is estimated to cost up to $332 million.

So, again the sucking sound of the forced outage comes calling. The week of Christmas, I will be on nights (reduced work week, we will get a four day weekend), and the second week in February, five nights. I will be the night Shift Outage Manager. Nice to get recognition for being the head on the horse so to speak, but messes with the rhythm. I also found out that I will be doing day-shift for the spring outage for Unit 2 (32 days, 6-12 hour shifts, with one day off per week); again, nice to be recognized for having something to contribute, but a hassle.

I welcome my chance to do my share, and never complain publicly, but it is the same old syndrome of 5% of the folks doing the heavy lifting. I fully expect that after the Unit 2 outage, I will then move into an every seven week rotation on the Unit 1 forced outage until the unit is back on line. I just want to know the schedule so that we can plan the rest of our life :o)

Hope your post holiday week is going well as you prepare for the Christmas Holiday.

5 comments:

  1. I'm just glad that it won't mess with our Christmas Eve! Yay!

    We'll get through it--we always do! :)

    B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. not sure I could handle a constant change in my schedule... I like my 8:30-4:30.... well when I get back to work.
    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a lot on your plate but you will manage..........you are lucky to have Beth by your side waiting for you.

    You both are such a great couple!

    Hugs, Rose

    ReplyDelete
  4. Phew...what a schedule. I'm all done but the wrapping and I'm going to get my g/daughter's help with that. She decorated my little tree too. Very big help to her Grandma.
    Hugs, Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  5. A real case of 'pimpin' ain't easy, but somebody has got to do it'. With things get tight, people tend to rely on the ones who will get it done, rather than the ones they have to hope will do it.

    ReplyDelete

Tell Me What You Think, Don't Make me go Rogue on you :o)