Jul 22, 2010

Vegecation - Did Not Get Away, Had to Release :o(

Had the opportunity to go Intracoastal fishing while in New Smyrna, FL, and here is a picture of the one that I caught. 

Would you believe that it was one inch to big, and I had to release it (can only keep between 12" and 27", for spawning and growth purposes).  The picture is of a red fish, and it was 28 inches and weighed about 10 pounds.  It put up quite the fight, and I had to move it left, then right, to keep it out of the oyster beds and breaking the line.  I had my fish face on (jaws clinched), and it took about 5 minutes to reel in.

Friend Kimberley caught two trout (filleted and BBQ'd that night, yum), and friend Steve caught an eight incher that had to be released. 

Been a while since I have been fishing for the bigger ones, it was fun.

13 comments:

  1. Wow! Good job! Pretty fish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a big fish! Biggest fish I have ever caught would have been a candidate for a sardine can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now you and the fish both have great stories to tell!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a big fish!! Good thing you have the photo otherwise it could have been a tale of 'the one who got away' variety.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know that fish was breathing an underwater sigh of relief! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is some fish ~ wish it had been on the end of my bait ~ Ally x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, Ken that was a huge fish! I'm not surprised you had a fight on your hands. Glad you all were able to keep some of your catch and enjoy it for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like you had a great time fishing. Love the photo.

    Hugs, Rose

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice fish Ken!!!! It's always fun when they put up a good fight. Glad to hear he was released to fight another day :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That would've broken my heart to have to throw him back!

    ReplyDelete

Tell Me What You Think, Don't Make me go Rogue on you :o)