Jun 10, 2009

Time to Downsize???


Green Lawns Aren't "Green": The Ecological Impact of Grassy Lawns
Of all the strange practices that dominate our culture, America's obsession with green, grassy lawns is the most ridiculous-- and perhaps the least sustainable.

We are fortunate to have a lot of trees, so do not water much, but the mowing and such certainly is not "green". Interesting article, hope you click through :o)


http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1626147/green_lawns_arent_green_the_ecological.html

4 comments:

  1. Hi Ken,
    Definitely, lawns aren't "green." Some people around me have taken them out, replaced them with sand and cactus gardens. I have to admit, it takes some getting used to ...
    Best,
    Marty

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lost the battle with the weeds in my yard years ago....so I don't have grass anymore just weeds...easier to grow too...lmao....no watering..

    Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melanie, I think your lawn and mine must be related then. Mine is definitely mostly weeds. Doesn't make mowing the lawn any easier for me, and I have to say that it's probably my least favorite chore. If I wasn't worried about snakes making a home in my yard, I probably wouldn't even worry about it. My wife and I would love to just get rid of the whole thing and just cover it in cement... Of course, that's not really eco-friendly either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read several articles about getting rid of lawns, if not completely, then mostly. Natural landscaping is a great idea, with native grasses and wildflowers, and I encourage anyone who is tired of mowing to investigate! Although we maintain some lawn (and I don't think we had to water at all last year), the vast majority of our property is left to its natural state, whether woods or wetlands. It's a much better environment for wildlife, and definitely a case of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!" Whoops, hope I didn't get preachy! :)

    ReplyDelete

Tell Me What You Think, Don't Make me go Rogue on you :o)