Jan 19, 2011

Farewell Fermilab :o(


My father worked here from 1968 through his early death in 1990.  I worked there during summer and holiday vacations from 1976-1984.  When I was in high school, I made the state level in Science Project with a scale model and explanation of this facility.  It is with a heavy heart that I see them planning to close the facility.
Tough budgetary times spare no one, not even the last best hope of American researchers discovering the “god particle” on their home soil. Rumblings and rumors surfaced early yesterday that Fermilab’s Tevatron would not receive an extension to continue operations until 2014.  They will close operations by the end of 2011.
Tevatron and the LHC ICern) are redundant, and the DOE and HEP program are respectfully bowing out of the Higgs race to focus on other aspects of particle physics that aren’t already being probed by more powerful experiments elsewhere in the world. It’s a letdown for those who wanted to see Tevatron find the Higgs first, but it’s a practical move that will keep science moving forward while keeping Fermilab and it’s HEP program at the forefront of particle physics.

7 comments:

  1. Is this the Fermilab in Batavia, IL ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, this is the one in Batavia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was a bit sad when I found out they were closing it myself :/

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had always heard we had some (or a)huge accelerator(s), but until this picture I never realized how large.

    I never was intelligent enough to fathom the cyclotron.

    It made more sense to build houses. ha!

    Thanks for the information, seems every day you post something interesting. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to hear about this. I visited there twice and spent the day. It will be missed.

    ReplyDelete

Tell Me What You Think, Don't Make me go Rogue on you :o)