Nov 29, 2010
Dealing With a Lousy Day :o)
1. Resist the urge to “treat” yourself. Often, the things we choose as “treats” aren’t good for us. The pleasure lasts a minute, but then feelings of guilt, loss of control, and other negative consequences just deepen the lousiness of the day.
2. Do something nice for someone else. “Do good, feel good”
3. Distract yourself. You will better able to cope with the situation after having had a bit of relief. Read, TV, movie, something to get your mind otherwise engaged.
4. Seek inner peace through outer order. The sense of tangible progress, control, and orderliness can be a comfort.
5. Tell yourself, “Well, at least I…” Get some things accomplished.
6. Exercise is an extremely effective mood booster – but be careful of exercise that allows you to ruminate.
7. Stay in contact. Studies show that contact with other people boosts mood.
8. Things really will look brighter in the morning. Go to bed early and start the next day anew.
9. Keep perspective. Ask yourself: “Will this matter in a month? In a year?”
What other strategies have you used to deal with a lousy day?