Dec 16, 2009

Science Scene - The End of Bottled Water?


The environmental arguments against bottled water are gaining more traction, and people are starting to question whether bottled water is really worth it, financially and environmentally. Recent sales reflect a drop in consumer demand for bottled water.

Overall, the bottled water industry in the United States has expanded at a phenomenal rate, though the market dipped slightly last year. Retail sales of single-serving plastic bottles increased from 1.4 billion gallons in 2000 to 5.2 billion gallons last year. And, over the past decade, per-capita consumption of bottled water in the U.S. has more than doubled to about 200 bottles per year, per person.

Sales of reusable aluminum and stainless steal water bottles are up. But the bottled water industry is enormous, estimated at about $16 billion, and reusable water bottles are a mere drop in the bucket. It would take a mass exodus of people using refillable water bottles to take away the significant market share of the bottled water industry.

The benefits of using reusable water bottles far outweigh the costs. Among these benefits are: energy savings and reduced emissions (processing, packaging, distribution) and reduced waste (less plastic in landfills equals less pollution). Furthermore, tap water saves people lots of money –- bottled water is 1,900 times more expensive than tap water.

We do our share by using stainless steel bottles here for our workouts, and I have one at work also.  How about you?

7 comments:

  1. i am looking into getting a couple of reusable bottles so i can up my water intake and create less waste.

    here they may start charging deposit on water bottles which could get interesting.

    xxalainaxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never buy bottled water unless I am out somewhere and get really thirsty. I think most bottled water is no more that tap water to begin with. We have a bottled water place here in town. They say Fresh spring bottled water. Ken and saw one of their storage carrier trucks back up to the large spring that feeds water to several towns with a large hose coming from the spring going to the truck. Our water comes from either there or large wells here so why should we buy their spring water LOL.
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  3. An interesting coincidence. Just last night I was reading through some of my old entries on my original AOL journal, and in Spetember of 2004, I wrote this: http://awvarchive.blogspot.com/2004/09/thoughts-of-future.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bottled water is such a waste and a scam Ken. I don't understand why most people don't see that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ken,

    Have been looking at the other choice...no matter what I just do not drink enough water...

    Love Lori

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always thought the whole bottled water thing was a scam. You're just as well off if you put a filter on your tap and drink tap water.
    Best,
    Marty

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bought "Green" bottles online for stocking stuffers for my adult children.

    My older brother is a retired chemist and he told me over 30 years ago to stay away from anything in plastic bottles and to only purchase glass when buying olive oil, colas, etc.

    I don't purchase bottled water. I have a filter in my refrigerator.

    Check out this site: www.greenbottleonline.com

    They have a great selection and many styles to choose from.

    Hugs, Rose

    ReplyDelete

Tell Me What You Think, Don't Make me go Rogue on you :o)