Apr 9, 2012

Are You Bitter?



Brussels sprouts are bitter, and kids generally don’t like bitter tastes. Adults do not have the same reaction.  What gives?
 Researchers say that an aversion to bitter and sour (generally a heightened gag reflex) is a survival instinct, since most toxins taste that way too. On the other hand, sweetness typically indicates that something is safe to eat, so children are born with a preference for sweets.
My taste buds say no to green peppers, yams, cottage cheese, eggplant, and squash.  What about yours?


6 comments:

  1. The only thing I can think of in the whole world that I do not like is Sushi. And I never heard of it until the last 10 years anyway.
    'possum, I do not like Possum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The list you gave? Yes, yes, yes, yes, and yes. :D And you've eaten squash...like zucchini and yellow squash!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is interesting given it is a survival instinct. The gag factor goes to work for me when I am exposed to brussel sprouts, beets, liver, to name a few.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beets -- oh wait. Okay, back. I almost gagged while typing that one. Sorry! I like most veggies and meats so really only a few items have an impact on me. But I tend to favor more sweetened items over non-sweet. Mmm...sugar fried sweet potatoes.

    However, usually for me, and don't laugh -- when I brush too far back on the upper row of my teeth, I gag. :( That is all I am saying here for now. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE Brussels sprouts, especially creamed Brussels sprouts. The only veggie I really don't like is hominy!

    ReplyDelete

Tell Me What You Think, Don't Make me go Rogue on you :o)