Eight signs of a toxic JERK:
- Doesn't take turns
- Takes advantage of people who are down
- Gloats in victory
- Is sullen in defeat
- Is not fair
- Lacks integrity
- Is the kind of person you'll avoid if you possibly can
I am sure we have all come across our own share of Jerks, but how do you deal with them?
- Recognize when a person is toxic (this is not just some one having a bad day, it is a person who feels entitled, and they feel justified in taking)
- Adjust your expectations (realize they will not act reasonably, they act cooperative and caring only until they get what they want). They cannot change [man-o-man, have I lived this one]
- Hold part of yourself back (do not get emotionally engaged)
- Respond to their toxicity by saying "Huh?", "Tell me how this is good for me.", and "Do you really believe what you just said?" Do not be confrontational, and they will most likely walk away to find someone else to be a toxic bully with.