Apr 15, 2010

Science Scene - Geminoid

Modeled after a real woman -- who can be seen above on the right -- the humanoid 'bot has life-like silicone skin, realistic black hair, and even a set of pearly whites that break into a rather convincing smile.

Geminoid F is far from the complete robotic package; she was designed with efficiency in mind, employing just 12 pneumatic actuators rather than her predecessor's 46, meaning her range of motion is actually far more limited. But when it comes to reproducing facial tics and other unspoken gestures, she's really quite skilled. A tele-operation system uses a smart camera to track a real person's facial expressions and reproduce them in the android's face.

I think the 46 sensor version would be more lifelike, but this is still pretty amazing. It is only a mimic right now, but it is not hard to imagine some software making this much more. A lot of potential, hopefully for the good.

Source

10 comments:

  1. When I was a child, we went to a "wax" museum somewhere in Arizona (presumably Phoenix area, but really not sure, I was young). Mostly it was diorama's of scenes from Arizona history, but in the lobby there was a figure of a female that sat behind a desk. She'd been created with the ability to "breathe". I spent quite some time staring at her, trying to decide if she was real or not (again, I was quite young). Not sure I'm quite ready for a smiling version.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing! All we need do is find a way to keep those microchips which are the brain of these incredible "machines" out of the hands of corrupt, insane, fanatic politicians. They'll just replicate themselves into eternity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like we will need a John Connors to save mankind from the rise of the machines!! (j/k!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. And then the robots take over!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm...I don't know. I think I've seen a few too many Robots gone bad movies!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've seen Geminoid F on the news. Very impressive. I'd like to see a male version.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing!!! I now want to know more about Germinoid F! Laine xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is creepy. Makes me think of a bad sci-fi movie when the bots take over.

    ReplyDelete

Tell Me What You Think, Don't Make me go Rogue on you :o)