Feb 1, 2010

What Motivates You?

Where’s the Motivation? 
Do you find it hard to stay motivated? 
Is it difficult to motivate others?


Motivation is the activation or energization of goal-oriented behavior. According to various theories, motivation may be rooted in the basic need to minimize physical pain and maximize pleasure, or it may include specific needs such as eating and resting, or a desired object, hobby, goal, state of being, ideal, or it may be attributed to less-apparent reasons such as morality or avoiding mortality.

A reward, tangible or intangible, is presented after the occurrence of an action (i.e. behavior) with the intent to cause the behavior to occur again. This is done by associating positive meaning to the behavior. Studies show that if the person receives the reward immediately, the effect would be greater, and decreases as duration lengthens. Repetitive action-reward combination can cause the action to become habit. Motivation comes from two sources: oneself, and other people. These two sources are called intrinsic motivation and extrinsic motivation, respectively.

Intrinsic motivation comes from rewards inherent to a task or activity itself - the enjoyment of a puzzle or the love of playing. This form of motivation has been studied by social and educational psychologists since the early 1970s. Research has found that it is usually associated with high educational achievement and enjoyment by students.

Extrinsic motivation comes from outside of the performer. Money is the most obvious example, but coercion and threat of punishment are also common extrinsic motivations.

So, do you self motivate, or are you motivated by others?

3 comments:

  1. I think maybe I do both.
    First and foremost, I motivate myself, but being in a relationship you sometimes look at your partner for motivation; you look to family, friend, etc. But the impetus starts with me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ken, a lot of my motivation is to maximize pleasure; we only live once in my book. I think the instinct to create is also a driving force in my motivation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely am self motivated. I try to rise to my own standards and meet them. :)

    ReplyDelete

Tell Me What You Think, Don't Make me go Rogue on you :o)