Philosophy is a framework. This means that philosophy is an approach to questions rather than a bunch of answers to the questions themselves. Logic, a sub-discipline in philosophy, gives us a way to frame ideas so we talk about things more orderly. Philosophy can help get us nearer to what is true about the world.
- Epistemology – this is the study of the scope, limits, and possibility of knowledge.
- Metaphysics – the study of the structure of the world.
- Philosophy of Mind – here we attempt to look at what it means to say something has a mind.
- Ethics – ethicists study the nature of the good and how humans should live based on how the good is defined.
- Philosophy of Religion – philosophers in this discipline attempt to tackle questions like, “does God exist?,” “is there life after death?,” “is any religion true?” and “how can we believe in a good God with so much evil in the world?”
- Logic – Logicians study arguments and the relationship between ideas.